As more employees work in remote or hybrid formats, payers are cutting back on office space nationwide.
Here are six moves Becker's has reported since April 25.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee is selling an 11-acre Chattanooga campus to Hamilton County. In June, the payer accepted a $10 million bid for its Gateway property in downtown Chattanooga, which the county plans to use as a public school campus.
- Centene listed a 68-acre, 517,000-square-foot corporate campus for sublease in Sacramento, Calif. The two four-story buildings are located at 4151 and 4191 East Commerce Way and were home to Health Net, Centene's subsidiary in California.
- An office building Centene invested millions in but rarely used is up for sale. Centene spent $7 million renovating the building in Maryland Heights, Mo., adding amenities like a cafe and fitness center. The 93,000-square-foot space is listed for sale at just above $14 million.
- A vacant office building that previously was part of Express Scripts' headquarters is being auctioned. The building was constructed just over a decade ago for the pharmaceutical benefit manager owned by the Cigna Group. The office has sat vacant since the company left its lease there in 2021.
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of Western New York will move to a new office space in Buffalo.
- Centene exited 103,585 square feet of office space in Creve Coeur, Mo., earlier in 2023.