From a new CEO at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina to restructuring at Humana sparking the search for a new insurance president, these are 27 payer executive moves reported by Becker's in July:
1. CVS Health named Taft Parsons III, MD, vice president and chief psychiatric officer July 29. Dr. Parsons will lead the Aetna Medical Affairs Behavioral Health organization. CVS also named Deborah Fernandez-Turner, DO, to the deputy chief psychiatric officer role.
2. Highmark Health appointed Frank Perryman to its board of directors July 28. Mr. Perryman is president and CEO of Perryman Co., a global titanium supplier.
3. Centivo, a self-funded health plan provider, named Jim Foreman as chair of its board of directors July 27.
4. Zing Health, a carrier of Medicare Advantage and Medicare MSA plans, named Andrew Clifton president July 27. Previously, he was Medicare chief growth officer at Centene subsidiary WellCare.
5. Humana said July 27 it is restructuring into two units: insurance services and CenterWell. The company is seeking an insurance division president. Retail Segment President Alan Wheatley will step down by the end of this year after 31 years with the company. George Renaudin, senior vice president of Medicare markets, has been named president of Medicare, effective Aug. 5. Susan Smith, senior vice president of clinical solutions, will expand her role and lead enterprise services, including clinical and consumer experience, and stars and Medicare risk adjustment.
6. PacificSource Health Plans named Jeremy Vandehey as Oregon market president July 27, effective mid-October.
7. Trillium Community Health Plan, a Centene subsidiary, named Sarah Brewer plan president and CEO, effective July 25.
8. Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield named or promoted four individuals to executive positions, according to a July 25 report from Arkansas Business: Devin Shirley has been named lead executive of enterprise information security and will continue to serve as chief information security officer; Tanya Langley has been promoted to lead executive of clinical services and population health operations; Aaron Novotny has been promoted to director of health economics; and Shirl Welch has been promoted to lead executive of corporate compliance.
9. Former UnitedHealth Group and Anthem executives Kevin Hill and Ken Goulet were hired July 25 by vision benefits startup XP Health as strategic advisers. Mr. Goulet was previously executive vice president and president of commercial and specialty business at Anthem (now Elevance Health). Mr. Hill was previously regional CEO of UnitedHealth Group's Northeast commercial division.
10. Blue Health Intelligence, the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association's data analysis licensee, named Bob Darin CEO, effective July 22.
11. Optum Health's former chief health officer and senior vice president of population health, Seth Serxner, PhD, was named chief health officer of digital communications company EdLogics July 21.
12. Former Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota CEO Craig Samitt, MD, was appointed July 21 as executive chair of virtual care delivery platform Myia Health.
13. UPMC Health Plan promoted Rachelle Graham to vice president, marketing and communications in the Insurance Services Division July 18.
14. Security Health Plan of Wisconsin named Amy Parrish consumer sales manager July 18.
15. Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island named Karen Carlson COO and Melissa Husband as chief of staff, Providence Business News reported July 17.
16. BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee named Kelly Scoggins its director of ethics and compliance July 15.
17. Former BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee director of value-based contracting Michael Drescher was named vice president of payer strategy at XSOLIS.
18. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana named Sherri Enright as senior vice president and chief human resources officer July 12.
19. Humana promoted Fred Roth to president of the Medicare Supplement division July 12.
20. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina named Kelly Calabria as senior vice president, chief marketing and corporate social responsibility officer July 12, effective Aug. 15
21. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana named Curtis Anders as vice president of provider networks and contracting, effective July 11.
22. Former UnitedHealthcare vice president of product, experience and accessibility Thibault Roux was named chief digital officer at Burger King July 8.
23. Magellan Health appointed Derrick Duke as CEO July 7, succeeding former CEO Ken Fasola. Mr. Fasola has been named executive vice president of healthcare enterprises at Centene.
24. Premera Blue Cross appointed Amy Humphreys as chair of its board of directors July 7.
25. Humana Healthy Horizons, the payer's Kentucky Medicaid business, named Sarah Moyer, MD, chief medical officer, effective July 5. Dr. Moyer previously served as director and chief health strategist of the Louisville Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness.
26. CVS Health tapped Ahmed Hassan to be president of pharmacy services subsidiary Omnicare on July 1.
27. BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina CEO David Pankau retired and has been appointed chair of the board. Michael Mizeur has been named as the company's new president and CEO, effective July 1.