UnitedHealthcare and Raleigh, N.C.-based WakeMed have signed a multi-year contract that restores in-network access for thousands of patients.
A UnitedHealthcare spokesperson told Becker's the deal was effective Nov. 15 and includes coverage for commercial and Medicare Advantage members, including D-SNP plans.
According to local CBS-affiliate WNCN, the three-year contract does not include Medicaid, Medicare supplement or ACA exchange plans.
UnitedHealthcare is the second-largest payer by market share in the state, and the break had left 20,000 WakeMed patients out of network since June 1.
"We recognize the care WakeMed provides is important. We're pleased to reach an agreement that provides the North Carolinians we serve greater access to quality, affordable health care," Garland Scott, CEO of UnitedHealthcare North Carolina, said.
WakeMed first issued a termination notice in November 2021. It previously said the impasse stemmed from reimbursement rates around medically necessary treatments.
The system's facilities include three full-service hospitals, seven emergency departments, a dedicated children's hospital, a rehabilitation hospital, more than 80 physician offices and a level 1 trauma center. WakeMed has 1,300 affiliated physicians and employs more than 580 physicians.