Here are eight providers that payers have acquired or announced plans to acquire in 2023:
- BCBS North Carolina plans to purchase all 55 North Carolina locations of FastMed, a national chain of urgent care clinics.
- Humana's CenterWell Primary Care will purchase the bulk of Cano Health's centers in Texas and Nevada for $66.7 million.
- UnitedHealth Group's Optum plans to merge with home health and hospice provider Amedisys. The $3.3 billion deal was green-lighted by shareholders but faces scrutiny from the Justice Department.
- CareSource plans to acquire a new affiliate, Radiant Alliance, a nonprofit organization composed of Metta Healthcare, the parent company of Ohio's Hospice and Pure Healthcare, and United Church Homes, pending regulatory approval. Metta Healthcare employs more than 1,400 people in 59 countries throughout Ohio and provides long term care for those with chronic illness or in need of end-of-life care.
- CVS Health completed its $10.6 billion acquisition of primary care company Oak Street Health.
- UnitedHealth Group's recently acquired LHC Group plans to buy Delaware-based home health company Summit Home Care.
- Optum purchased Middletown, N.Y.-based Crystal Run Healthcare, a multispecialty physician group with over 400 providers across more than 30 locations.
- UnitedHealth Group closed on its $5.4 billion acquisition of home health firm LHC Group in February. Lafayette, La.-based LHC employs about 30,000 people, including front-line care providers and administrative and support personnel. Many of LHC's home-health and hospice operations are owned in partnership with hospital systems across 37 states and more than 960 locations.