From big achievements in the Medicaid space to snagging a multibillion dollar health benefits contract in North Carolina, these five Aetna division leaders shared their thoughts with Becker's in 2023:
1. Aetna Better Health of Kentucky CEO Paige Mankovich explained how Aetna's Kentucky Medicaid plan achieved the top quality rating in the state for Medicaid plans in 2023 from the National Committee for Quality Assurance, at four stars. She also shared the organization's top priorities for 2024.
2. Aetna's Midsouth and Capitol Markets President Jim Bostian discussed how his team won out among competitors to administer North Carolina's state health plan. Starting in 2025, Aetna will take over a three-year health benefits contract for more than 740,000 North Carolina state employees, public educators, retirees and their dependents, upending a more than 40-year relationship between the state and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina.
3. Former Aetna Medicaid president Kelly Munson explained how the company has been working to contact members about Medicaid redeterminations and partnering with Medicaid programs in the 14 states where it manages plans to help streamline the process. Mark Santos was named president of Aetna Medicaid in November.
4. Aetna Better Health of Florida CEO Jennifer Sweet discussed how Aetna's Medicaid program in Florida has outpaced the national average for NICU births through a partnership with ProgenyHealth, a case management platform serving mothers and their newborn children.
5. Aetna's Southeast Region President Rich Weiss shared about the building blocks of successful value-based care models and what payers can do to encourage more of them alongside providers.