Though healthcare utilization is expected to begin normalizing after pandemic volatility, customer expectations have evolved, and health plans have a lot of work to do to increase their satisfaction, according to J.D. Power's 2022 Commercial Member Health Plan study.
Using a 1,000-point scale, the study measures satisfaction among members of 147 health plans in 22 U.S. regions by examining billing and payment, cost, coverage and benefits, customer service, information and communication, and provider choice. It is based on responses from 36,366 commercial health plan members collected from January to April.
Though overall member satisfaction increased 17 points over the last five years, there was no change in 2022 from 2021. The reasons are a decrease in satisfaction with customer service, coverage options and network providers.
Member satisfaction with text messaging support decreased 14 points, and website and mobile app satisfaction each dropped six points. Only 22 percent of members described their health plan as "innovative," which is a number that has not changed in the last three years.
Health plans members are most satisfied with:
- South Atlantic: Kaiser Foundation Health Plan (795)
- Maryland: Kaiser Foundation Health Plan (791)
- New York: Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (787)
- Florida: Humana (783)
- California: Kaiser Foundation Health Plan (773)
- East South Central: Humana (772)
- Texas: Humana (768)
- Virginia: CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield (766)
- Pennsylvania: Geisinger Health Plan (761)
- Heartland: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma (755)
- Mountain: Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah (749)
Northeast: Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (749)
- Michigan: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (748)
- Illinois/Indiana: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (747)
- Southwest: Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Nevada (742)
- Northwest: Kaiser Foundation Health Plan (736)
- Colorado: Kaiser Foundation Health Plan (734)
- Minnesota/Wisconsin: Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Wisconsin (734)
- Delaware/West Virginia/Washington, D.C.: CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield (729)
New Jersey: Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Jersey (729)
- Ohio: Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Ohio (725)
- Massachusetts: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (714)