More than 50 health advocacy groups and other organizations are calling on Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to pause Medicaid redeterminations after about 250,000 residents were disenrolled from the program.
The groups said in their May 23 letter that 82 percent of those who have been disenrolled so far — 205,122 people — were disenrolled because they did not respond to requests to update their information with the state, not necessarily because they were determined to be no longer eligible.
The groups said they've also received reports from Floridians being disenrolled from Medicaid without having received notice from the Florida Department of Children and Families, as outlined in the state's redetermination plan.
"We are alarmed by the data, as well as these anecdotal reports, and strongly urge the administration to pause Florida's redetermination process and conduct a thorough analysis of issues and problems that might be preventing individuals from receiving appropriate notices," they said in the letter. "Furthermore, we are calling for a pause so that the state can take the time to fill critical vacancies at DCF, provide comprehensive training to DCF staff needed to avoid error, and convey essential information to Florida's families."