Cigna beat Wall Street expectations and pulled in $1.6 billion for shareholders in the second quarter, according to the company's earnings report published Aug. 4.
"Evernorth and Cigna Healthcare continue driving our strong performance, and our focus on ongoing innovation positions us for sustained, differentiated growth," Chair and CEO David Cordani said.
Six key takeaways:
- Total revenues across all lines of business were nearly $45.5 billion, an increase of 5.4 percent from $43.1 billion year over year.
- Cigna Healthcare revenues were $11.3 billion, an increase of 1.7 percent from $11.1 billion year over year.
- Evernorth revenues were $34.9 billion, an increase of nearly 7 percent from $32.6 billion year over year.
- Shareholders' net income for second quarter 2022 was $1.6 billion, compared to $1.5 billion for second quarter 2021.
- As of June 30, the company has 108.2 million pharmacy customers, up from 101.9 million year over year.
- As of June 30, the company has 17.8 million medical members, adding 725,000 customers this year.