Humana named William Shrank, MD, CMO of the insurance services division at UPMC Health Plan, its new CMO, the health insurer said Jan. 15.
Five things to know:
1. Effective April 1, Dr. Shrank will succeed Roy Beveridge, MD, who said last year he would retire from Humana during 2019.
2. Dr. Beveridge, who has spent five and half years as Humana's CMO, will remain with the health insurer for several months after Dr. Shrank joins the company. As CMO, Dr. Shrank will implement the health plan's care delivery strategy for Humana's 16 million members.
3. He has been at UPMC since 2016, where he oversaw about $9 billion in annual healthcare expenses for roughly 3.5 million health plan members.
4. Prior to that, Dr. Shrank was senior vice president, chief scientific officer and CMO of provider innovation at CVS Health from 2013-16. From 2011-13, he served as director of research and rapid-cycle evaluation group for CMS' Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation.
5. Dr. Shrank started his career as a physician with Boston-based Brigham and Women's Hospital and an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School in Boston.
More articles on payers:
4 recent health plan data breaches
The health insurance industry in 2019: 4 things to know
1 in 4 pre-Medicare adults don't think they can afford insurance next year