Pittsburgh-based Highmark Health Plan completed its acquisition of Gateway Health Plan on Sept. 7, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Five things to know:
1. Highmark initially sought to purchase the Pittsburgh-based health plan in July. The move required Highmark to purchase the half of Gateway Health Plan that it didn't yet own.
2. With the Gateway acquisition, Highmark ushers in 355,000 new members.
3. "This acquisition will help us further our mission and better serve current and future Medicaid and Medicare members across Pennsylvania," said Deborah Rice-Johnson, Highmark Health Plan president
4. Gateway Health Plan will be branded under Highmark Wholecare.
5. Highmark Wholecare's array of Blue Cross Blue Shield and Blue Shield plans will be sold throughout the state starting Jan. 1, 2022.