For the fourth consecutive year, customers named Kaiser Permanente as the No. 1 health plan based on experience, according to Forrester's 2018 Consumer Experience Index.
Health insurers' customer experience scores stagnated in 2018, with only four health plans seeing statistically significant improvement year over year and three seeing their scores decline. The results are based on a survey of 110,000-plus U.S. adults measuring how well 287 brands, including 17 health insurers, perform across six categories: effectiveness, ease, emotion, retention, enrichment and advocacy.
Here's how the 17 health plans stacked up:
1. Kaiser Permanente Health Plan
3. Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
4. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
5. Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
6. Florida Blue
7. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
8. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
9. Blue Shield of California
11. CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
12. Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
14. Health Net
15. Anthem Blue Cross
16. Other Blue Cross Blue Shield
To review full methodology and rankings, click here.
More articles on payer issues:
BCBS lets Mayo in on decision-making with new 5-year contract
Anthem completes acquisition of palliative care provider Aspire Health: 3 things to know
BetterDoctor, Quest Analytics deal to help payers ensure networks aren't too narrow