UnitedHealth Group will shake up its senior executive team as the CEO of its health insurance line, UnitedHealthcare, retires.
Five things to know:
1. UnitedHealthcare CEO Steve Nelson is retiring, effective immediately. He has been with UnitedHealth for 15 years.
2. Dirk McMahon, president and COO of Optum, will take over Mr. Nelson's role.
3. Mr. McMahon has held several senior positions at UnitedHealth since joining the company in 2003, including leading its enterprisewide operations and serving as CEO of OptumRx.
4. In addition, Daniel Schumacher, president and COO of UnitedHealthcare, will become president and COO of Optum.
5. In his new role, Mr. Schumacher will oversee OptumInsight, which is UnitedHealth's data, analytics and technology business, as well as Optum Technology and Optum operations.
More articles on payers:
Aetna expands home care network: 4 things to know
5 recent payer data breaches
Centene, WellCare shareholders approve merger deal