Baton Rouge, La.-based Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana appointed Vindell Washington, MD, CMO.
Here are five things to know.
1. Dr. Washington is a board-certified emergency medicine physician.
2. He most recently served as the national coordinator for health IT at HHS.
3. Dr. Washington worked at Baton Rouge-based Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System for more than seven years. He left the health system as president of its 500-physician medical group.
4. Prior to that, he was CEO of Charlotte, N.C.-based Piedmont Emergency Medicine Associates.
5. Dr. Washington earned his medical degree from Charlottesville-based University of Virginia and received a master's of science in healthcare management from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston.